9.01.2009

positive pointing #12


I'm thankful for my cell phone. And that's a funny thing to be thankful for. It's not very romantic or poignant. They are shiny, cold machines that flip, move and slide in strange ways. People always want them put away, turned off, quieted. There's articles and little lectures given about how cell phones are at the very least distracting us and at worst, causing millions of car accidents. The culprits of a generation that suffers from chronic muli-tasking. The enemies of all things peaceful and still.

These are true, I know.

But I can't tell you what a comfort it is knowing that all my friends are carried around with me everyday in my messenger bag or that they all sit right inside my pocket. It is my persuasion that texting is a beautiful thing that has been horribly mistreated and misunderstood. I really can't think of a more wonderful concept than being able to send little notes to our friends at any time of the day filled with glowing evidence of the mundane: questions, discoveries, complaints,thoughts--- the little things that distance could crush; that take the edge off missing people.
And while I know that being completely cut-off from all things familiar is a great and worthy journey; that we'd probably all be better english-speakers and grammar loyalists if cell phones had never existed, I'm thankful that my days can be peppered with little words that unknowingly cheer me on.

4 comments:

chalice said...

kyrie, i know im getting annoying with this but seriously. you need to write a book! freal!

certain text messages have brought some of the truest happy moments to my life at just the right times when i needed an encouraging word or something to laugh at. i too am so very grateful.

now get started on yer book.

Charlotte said...

hey! Kyrie,
I too believe in texting. my parents don't and they own my cell phone plan(it is a little indulgent, perhaps), so I have to be sparing about it. but I'm probably not as sparing as I should be, because I think texts are among the most beautiful forms of communication today. They force you to be pithy and they make loving people in the day-to-day so natural and easy. I wish I lived in the same neighborhood as all my favorite people, but I don't. Texting is my substitute front-porch platform until the day I do. That's right, a little bit of heaven in our pockets.

In other news, are you still crafting blog banners for people? I'm in the market. Let me know.

Charlotte said...

by the way, I'm doing an art project somehow using the texts that have filled my inbox since April. let me know if you have any ideas related to it.

Sienna said...

"And while I know that being completely cut-off from all things familiar is a great and worthy journey; that we'd probably all be better english-speakers and grammar loyalists if cell phones had never existed,...."

beautifully put.