9.01.2011

# 76 : a yearly reminder

'Cyclical' | oil on canvas. my final project for Color Theory during sophomore year

I've always mildly hated the dawn of September. It's an awful ending to something glorious and downright dreamy; a stone wall smack in the middle of a beautiful, down hill bicycle ride. It's the big sigh at the end of a long, drawn out laugh that leaves you slightly depleted solely because of the new absence and, realizing that the lighthearted moment is gone, you dutifully get back to washing dishes. The flipping of the calender usually displays a jar of pencils or an obnoxiously yellow school bus or something equally as depressing and unsurprising (the dreaded apple with a ruler propped nearby). Although I will say, in defense of calenders, that my Andy Warholone is currently displaying some technicolor high heels which is immensely satisfying and subtlety thrilling. I'm not one of those people who loves school supplies. ( In fact, I try really hard not to buy them. ever. Just use the ends of old notebooks and pens I find in the car & try my best to pretend like I won't have to do that much class work at all, really.)

However, the 9th month of every year will always hold a huge amount of poignancy for me because I was born on it's very last day. On that same day each year I grow that much older and sink 365 days deeper into this gritty story of life.

So despite tight schedules, routine, empty sheets of paper waiting to be filled, sitting for hours at a time, homework in the late evenings and bitter early mornings, i love September. It's my reminder that time never rewinds, that I am always and unavoidably moving forward and that my adventure is ever so slowly wrapping up and I'd better make the most of it.

1 comment:

linnea said...

Mmmmmm, this post was a delight to read. Mainly because you are such a fantastic painter of words. Oh and painter of PAINT too, hence the amazing artwork...

Ahh, I know what you mean. And I was thinking of you all day yesterday. Over the years I have associated you, me and chalice with "birthday month" and all the emotions that come with it! Yes, september means teh return of chill air, the beginning of school and something happy too. A birthday. This september I find myself feeling a little melancholy. There is a definite lack of the usual significance of september. I am not starting school, i am just continuing on with the day to day. We still live on the edge of campus so i can see the folks walking around with the backpacks, and I am not. I usually get hyped up aabout my birthday but this year is just different. I don't know.