3.02.2010

Lighter Longings


Sometimes I think I'd like to be a smoker
I like the idea of smoking:
taking a step outside
hanging out with people you don't know that well.
sharing what you have
with people you don't know at all.
concentrating on nothing but breathing
and looking at nothing but whats right in front of you
or beneath you
and just staring
loving something so much that you'll
stand in the freezing cold for however long
it takes to get it

and you have a pocket full of these pauses all day
and could even buy a romantic, hopelessly-swagger lighter
to add some charm.

and then i remember that it's soot
and makes my internal organs frusterated
and i get all discouraged.

maybe i'll just hang out with people i don't know that well
and stand in the freezing cold waiting for something i love,
and share with people i don't know
and ask to be excused from class
so i can go stare at the ground
or just concentrate on my breathing
for awhile

maybe i'll just go ahead and do that anyway
and suck on a lollipop.

6 comments:

kate said...

ok-my head is down on the computer table and i am laughing and telling Damien to check out your new post- gosh, this is so funny-your little creative mind can just write about anything-it is an exclusive little club isn't it-the smokers-wouldn't really work to hang out and chew gum or roll a breath mint around in your mouth-it's hard not to belong...(still laughing).

Henry said...

yea Kyrie,,,,,,your getting pretty good at this stuff....damn. I want to join the smokers too but mostly cus i think i'd enjoy pinching butts all day.

linnea said...

Have you seen those cute commercials showing people blowing bubbles instead of smoking??

I used to get so annoyed when I was younger working at Chick Fil A! I was like "CAN I just go stand outside for 5 minutes just for the heck of it every hour?!?!?!"

Anonymous said...

I love this. And I always think the same thing. I agree Linnea- let's just start blowing bubbles.
I always think I am going to like smoking more than I actually do. Anytime after I smoke I realize- hey. I smell like a rank dive bar... And then I just get sad.
;)

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! This is SO true. I grew up with smokers. My Father-in-Law used to roll his cigs up into the sleeve of his undershirt-very cool! I used to make the man smoke outside; he and DOG smoked together:-)
But hangin' out on the front steps on a warm Spring day with the smokers I relaxing:-)(Watch that second hand smoke-worst than the cigs themselves)
***Tobi-kissing a smoker's like kissing an ashtray!

Sienna said...

i like that white lighter. ooh it could of been my bride lighter! dang.

this is good Kyrie. seriously. i haven't commented till now b/c i'm hitting myself over the head wishing I was writing like i used to. yeah, i'm jealous.