2.19.2009


It was a patch of grass to anyone else; to be stepped on, to be rained on, to be mowed over and to add to the rest of the patches that make up a lawn. I remember on hot days, exhausted from the sun and all my running around, i'd plop onto the our warm, weed-filled grass and cup my little hands over a litte patch of grass. Soon i was lying on my stomach staring down through a large hole made by my fingers; large enough to let the light in and to see through. I remember feeling like I could look forever at all those tiny nothings. I found immense satisfaction knowing that i was the only one who would ever see those grains of dirt and those skurrying little ants and the grass that starting out so thin and white and became a wider band of green near the top.

I wrote this in class this morning. the teacher gave us an quick assignment to take some object from our past and start describing it in hopes that i would give way to some sort of story. It was just an excerise to get us started on writing an artist's statement; a "free write" he called it. little did he know how wonderful those two words are to me and how many free writes i've done in my life and how thankful i am for 'free writes' because they made me love writing and most of all those words have made 'A' appear repeatedly on the top of my papers for school.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. love it! you're right, free writes are bomb. ;)
Keep that writing coming!

kate said...

there is nothing quite so wonderful as making my way to you in the early morning by way of reading your new post. i didnt know you did that-you have always loved design for sure.

Damien said...

nothing like a tiny world to transport us into the joy of wonder. just ask c. s. lewis.

James and Helen said...

this summer I think we should free write every single day.