4.19.2010

positive pointing #40: thank God for neutrals

www.sfgirlbybay.com

neutrals are killing me right now.
I'm not sure if i'm becoming a boring adult (yikes! am i?)
or just simply a sophisticated lady (hot pink? no way!!)
or perhaps I'm being swept along with the general consensus
and have no mind of my own at all.

regardless,

I'm in love with beige like never before.
I'm over the moon about grey.
gloomy? no no. a hushed beauty? yes.
White is taking over almost all the space in my design projects.
(negative space is my new darling. it's fascinating.)

rich and soft browns & the palest shades of yellow

but everyday i become more curious:
is this Kyrie becoming boring? It this how it happens? You just give yourself over to white walls and brown couches? And you think it's the best and perfect. and it's actually not. all you've actually done is do what everyone else has done. Is this how all that happens? People just, one day, get tired of color and discover neutrals and they fall in love with them

and with fences
and formulas
and frying pans

and ordering the same thing every time

is loving beige just taking me one step closer
to getting the same trim from the same hair stylist
every three months for the next seven years (at which the hair stylist will retire and i'll be forced to change. and be unwilling about it. and hesitant.) ?



ps. ok, so i'm not dying for the black and white slippers.





10 comments:

linnea said...

Kyrie, great post!

And no, I don't think you're just melting into a very common adulthood!! You love neutrals! (and need I say, you always have!) There are plenty of adults who love neutrals, and but there also plenty who don't.

Besides, lots of people prefer white walls and brown couches . . . because it's a relaxing back drop. But those same people might be skater chicks who like wearing baggy shorts and the fat hot pink vans.

P.s. Prepare to be in awe of your wedding colors for the rest of your life! Everytime you see that certain pairing you'll say "These were my wedding colors!" you might say it to the person you're working beside, or the cashier...or whoever! But that combo will always be yours.


P.s. I'm excited for your big day!

Damien said...

i've always liked neutrals. rarely do i use anything but wide neutral mats when i frame something. the range of choice in the neutral palette is surprisingly wide. working in this category of design involves subtlety and self-control. everyone is responsive to great design but few have the patience and willingness to be observant enough to learn the secrets of subtle beauty.

K. A. Ruth Bushaw said...

papa, you nailed it. ofcourse you did. thank you.

James and Helen said...

neutrals are what make bright colors shine Kyrie! They can't exist without each other. Every time I think about your wedding colors I just get all giddy inside. Boring is about the last thing you are these colors could ever be.

Sienna said...

i'm like a freaking retard when it comes to neutrals. i'm the constant bane of my existence in that way.

i needed a black frame with a wide white matte yesterday.

i went out and bought a turquoise art deco one.

shoot me.

Sienna said...

ps. that's why i need you in my life.

Anonymous said...

Only sophisticated in that you APPRECIATE the depth of neutrals. "Dove", "Mushroom", "Stone""Chocolate", "Mocha"-who couldn't like colors like that?! And do you know HOW MANY shades of white there are?!
(I've had the same hair style for 10 years-but it's so I can concentrate on my wall colors:-)

K. A. Ruth Bushaw said...

like my dad sad. "the range in the neutral palette is surprisingly wide"--dove mushroom mocha?? yes!! that's what i'm talking about!! get all giddy just thinking about it.

Brae Howard said...

dude, you've always liked neutrals. you're not even changing. cmon. neutrals with the occasional colorful accent is totally you.

K. A. Ruth Bushaw said...

i know but i had this idea that that was just me progessing. like, you and sienna are such color lovers so i thought eventually i end up in that same spot. wierd theory but true. but suddenly im settling right down into greys and stuff. i'm happy right where i am. yikes ?! (i'm not really freaking out. )