8.29.2008

my school work:)

i woke up at six. it always feels like winter at that time of day and i have to remind myself not to bundle. by seven i was on the curb of washington lane and germantown waiting for rusty bus 23 to rumble down the cobblestone. i needed to be at school a little early to figure out my school schedule so i used two tokens (yikes!) and rode 2/3 of the way on the subway--which got me there thirty minutes faster! i only had to ask directions ONCE and even then i was on the right street just had to keep going. I think i may be getting the hang of it. It was a blustery morning but i can always be cheerful in the mornings. whether or not that has anything to do with the opening scene of 'you've got mail' with perky Kathleen Kelly bouncing along the city streets, i don't quite know. but it may:)

graphic design class met at 8:30 am in room 205. i was first to arrive in the beige and white room with a square arrangement of paint splattered tables. It comfortably reminded me of my art classroom in jackson that wrapped around a coffee-infused professor morton (morty) . my professor walked in, a tall blonde woman with beautiful hands, and smiles. She's wearing light-pink, light-weight pink tee with loose fitting cargo floods. so chill. "you're in the right room..let me go get the others"when she returns, there are six transfers following her. tranfers! kindred spirits! this is wonderful. they're all from different places, all adjusting like me to new surrondings but not to the college life, so they're chill and interesting. it's a small class, i like it. we talk and introduce ourselves and i realize i suddenly have somewhat of an interesting story to tell: that i came from the mountains of georgia from a small christian school where there was no public transportation and a sprawling view of six states from my dorm room. i find that i am wholly in love with covenant now that i am far from it and ready at all times to sing its praises.

our first assignement is to arrange black dots on four different white squares. just five dots per square and all with a different idea: random, grid-like, an awkward arrangement and something-else-i-can't-remember. this was endlessly interesting to me. i'm cutting and taping and arranging and thinking to myself that seven hours is suddenly seeming extremely doable. my arrangements are dubbed as 'beautiful' and 'simple but strong'. it's good to know i have some sort of grip on what i'm doing here. she let us out early today..four hours early..and i wasn't thrilled about it. but i took the extra time to grab a sandwich at starbucks (so yummy!) and catch bus 33 to bus 57 and then to north 3rd street to check out new possible housing for myself for later on. pretty darn sketch. two subway trips later and a 15 minute walk i'm sitting in south philly at a small cafe called B2's. brae's working and hookin me up with good food.

i'm starting to like this place.

8 comments:

kate said...

keep on keepin' on sweetie. xo.

Bethany Mollenkof said...

Yess Kyrie!
It gets so much better once you get into your classes.
Finding things to do makes the transition so much easier.

annie said...

oh man...that dot project is so funny to me, and yet oddly appealing. haha!

i'm glad you're starting to settle in nicely. i can't wait to come see you.

Sienna said...

dang Kyrkyr,
i don't even recognize this person... how are you doing it?! you sound like a freaking kathleen
kelly and i'm semi-jealous. everything in your life sounds utterly facinating and the way you put words together makes me want to kick myself in the pants and get better at describing like you do... the way you described morty inside of the circle of tables... "coffee infused". brilliant.

oh i love you.
and i still miss you.
i think i will till the day i get to call you my naighbor again.
untill that day... keep writing.
i don't want to loose you.

Anonymous said...

early morning, rusty busses, cobblestone raods, seven hour art classes, free food from your cool sis... sounds like things are going great.
And I'm glad you're feeling that you have some sort of grip on what you're doing there. We all knew, but it's good to feel it, huh?
Missing you girl.

James and Helen said...

thanks the way girl. you so got this thing!!!!!!! I'm so proud of you! Enjoy the city life, there seems to be something so enchanting about it - the way you talk about it at least.

I can't wait to hear about those mornings that you do have to bundle and get ready and face the busy city streets in all the seasons you have left there. Thanks for your stories... i eat them up.

kate said...

Hey there Helen, What does "thanks the way girl..." mean? That made me laugh.

Kyrie is WAY too far away from campus-she is searching for a room closer to campus and looking for a job so she'll have 3 pennies instead of two-I'm not kidding! She has a ton of art stuff to cart around on the bus, thru the streets..she will prevail-she's Kyrie!
When I talk to her on the phone, I start biting my nails! I've never done that.

Lowen said...

This was really exhilarating to read about. Keep us in tha loop.